Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Outbursts in public

I was extremely fortunate to grow up with two parents that clearly didn’t care what other people whispered about my brother or the dirty looks that they gave us. On many occasions, my dad would go to the store and take along my brother, who would be about 10 years old or so, and would have a temper tantrum. With my brother looking completely normally people would whisper or give completely appalling looks to my brother who would be rolling around on the floor or taking many grocery items off the shelve. This would often come followed by my father yanking him up off the ground and my brother creating a scene yelling louder and louder. If someone got gutsy enough to say anything, that is usually where my dad would say, “He’s handicap and he can’t help it! Do you have a problem with that?” Normally it was followed by a simple, “No”. However, as Brian aged and calmed down a bit, he actually created friends at local businesses (party stores, gas stations, grocery stores and his favorite place the Dollar store). My parents were consistent yet, conscious with where they shopped because people got to know and love Brian that way. My advice is to find some place to shop that is accepting of others that are different and then stick with it.

1 comment:

  1. Your parents sound like great people. This story was very motivating. Keep up the the good work with your efforts to bring awareness to kids with handicaps!

    ReplyDelete