Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

An Autism Journey


Wow.. Never in my life did I think that I would write a book and now my wildest dreams are REALLY coming true. With the help of one best editors, I have been able to document my chaotic life with all of the ups and downs of having an autistic brother. The funny thing is that when I was in elementary school I did write a short picture book for the young author's conference and it was entitled, "Living with a thing called Autism". So, it turns out all of long that this is what I was meant to do.

Speaking about my book… throughout the process it's been a learning experience so eye opening that it almost discourages you from the submission process. Your probably wondering why, right? Well, just because you have a great idea for a book and you have the time to write doesn't mean that a agent or even publisher will pick up on your story. Instead you will be stuck reading generic rejection letters saying that, "You are not quite right for us" and then goes your MoJo to pursue your dreams. I plan to do speaking engagements whenever possible (let me know if you want me to speak to your group!), be aggressive with my promotional plan and most importantly create a platform that allows me to be positioned as an expert in what I call the Sibling Autism Movement.

My childhood was rocky at times and sometimes revolved around my brother and what type of day he might have. He required a lot of attention and extra love. My brother Brian tended to always draw crowds, but instead of attracting them for positive reasons, he had negative attention due to behavioral outbreaks. Some of it I just blocked out completely and the others are the moments that defined my life and started to build my stronger character. I want to share my story about the good, the bad and the ugly times. My story is uncensored and reveals all. This is an inside look about what I have learned over the past 28 years about having a brother that has Autism and how it has affected and completely changed my life. The purpose of this book I hope will give the siblings that are confused and forced to deal with this disease because this is part of their life answers. Also, to educate the parents who have a child (or multiple children) who are Autistic and have no idea what it’s like for their normal child to live their life and experience adversity because they have a sibling that is different. My brother never asked for such a life so, as siblings we need to make a pack, bond together and educate others about Autism. I always say, "Those dirty looks that you might get from people in public are teaching moments about what autism is and how it affects someone’s life."

"Make a difference, be inspired and be someone’s inspiration. "
(Above photo is a picture of my brother Brian)

No comments:

Post a Comment