Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Autism and the GOD connection

When you have a child or sibling with special needs sometimes you don't know where to turn for answers. Some families may turn to God for direction. As for my families’ religious activities/services, for a long time my parents didn’t go to church. My mother was raised in a Catholic church and this particular church was not accepting to frequent outbursts or an antsy young boy. Frankly, many people would roll their eyes and make you feel embarrassed. But, knowing that church is really the house of God and having a strong background in faith and religion, I continued attending church services, but at a Baptist church that I stumbled upon through a friend. I accepted God as my savior and it changed my life forever.

I knew that by attending church it would be to my parents benefit so, when I turned 16 I started attending a Church of Christ (AKA- Non- denominational) with my aunt, uncle and cousins in Livonia. It was a breath of fresh air and very welcoming to everyone. My parents started attending regularly, became members and even started to bring my brother, Brian. I think that Brian really enjoyed the interaction with the people but, sometimes he would stand up and blurt out, “I want to go home now… I’m done!” however, the people would just ignore him and smile, Pastor Mark doesn’t even blink and continued to preach on like nothing even happens. That right there is a sign of a great church and one that you are proud to be a member of. Above all, church should be the place that anyone and everyone are welcome and if you can’t go to church, then where can you go?

No comments:

Post a Comment