Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tip # 3: I'm scared


Challenge # 3
Some autistic children are aggressive, which can be scary and dangerous, especially for younger kids. Due to their hyper nature, parents can't possibly keep an eye on their kids every second of every day. For a typical sibling that is scared of their autistic sibling, it's extremely important for parents to take this concern seriously and intervene as appropriate. By talking to your child's pediatrician they will be able to provide you with hotline numbers that you can call if you or in need of help. Also it's really important for your typical child to have a safe place that they can go if they are upset or scared. Whether it's their room, a bathroom or a closet, by creating and identifying a location really helps the typical sibling cope with such chaos that they deal with on a regular basis.
I remember that growing up my escape was going into my room and and putting on my headphones and just listening to music. I would do this for hours at a time until I can relax and be comfortable with a scary situation.
Above photo: Me and Temple Grandin's mother, Eustacia Cutler, Author of "Thorn in my pocket"

No comments:

Post a Comment